Often the left thinks we conservatives exaggerate the size and influence of the media, made up of the Legacy New, TV, and Hollywood. I for one often mention their bias, dominance, and effect on social issues, and political races.
An example of their social impact is how they have slowly changed the attitudes towards homosexuality in the nation over the last decade. A political example is their support and election of Barack Obama. With a balanced media (TV, Hollywood, News) un-beholden to a liberal ideology neither of these things would have occurred.
If you’re on the left; all of this is just fine. You can even pretend that the bias is exaggerated and this is just the natural flow of society. If you’re on the right (like me) this is insidious.
But to the point, is the media dominance on the left exaggerated? After all, we on the right have Fox News, the Wall Street Journal, and Rush Limbaugh; three very profitable, and popular behemoths of TV News, Print News, and Talk Radio.
“The left currently controls 90+ percent of the media right now.” – Texas Lynn
“I don’t see how you can say that, unless by percentage you mean “number of outlets,” which would be a silly measurement. Fox News is the dominant TV news, WSJ is a dominant paper.” – Liberal Friend
Notice the immediate attention to Fox News; the bane of the left’s existence. It’s true that Fox news dominates the cable TV market and is profitable and successful as opposed to the leftist news networks who might eek out a profit. But that’s just Business 101. If you have a market evenly split (say 52/47) between the left and right; and you have ten vendors vying for the lefts business and one for the rights business. The one is going to dominate the ten. The same applies to the Wall Street Journal.
BUT overall, the number of people, effort, and dollars seeking the hearts and minds of the American people is heavily… HEAVILY skewed to the left today. Is it 90%? Who can say for sure; but it’s obvious that number isn’t too far off. The only silver lining in all of this is; it used to be a lot, lot worse!
Skeptical? Great! Trust but verify, I always say.
Hypothesis: The media (News, TV, Hollywood) is skewed to and dominated by the left.
Test: Research and document the daily patronage (the number of people they reach) of the various media vendors and compare those numbers to ascertain the degree of dominance if any.
I broke the media vendors into five categories.
- TV News
- Radio News/Talk
- Print News
- Notes on Numbers:
- TV News: The numbers for the various networks was from Neilson. For Fox news I took the peak viewership in Prime Time News so as to be sure and not skew the number in favor of Fox.
- Radio News/Talk: The talk radio number was hard to come by. I took the peak of 14 million (weekly number… they don’t track daily) and calculated a 25% repeat and crossover listener factor. If you go by the leftist blogs and reports, my number would be inflated. Of course they have an interest in reporting that we conservatives are less numerous than thought.
- Print News: The WSJ, NYP, NYT, and USA Today are in the National Top 50 Newspapers. The Remaining Top 50 Newspapers are the total circulation of the remaining 46 City Newspapers in the country. To give you an idea of the city size represented. The Fort-Worth Star Telegram was number 50.
- Television: While not all television shows are leftist, the TV industry definitely is and pushes that agenda. Name some very leftist TV Shows: Glee, Modern Family, 30 Rock, Parks and Recreation, It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia, The Family Guy… Now name some very conservative TV Shows: … … they don’t exist.
- Hollywood/Movies: Hollywood rarely if ever produces conservative movies. Even Oscar winning Braveheart had to go outside the system to be made. Conservative Hollywood actors brave enough to come out of the closet can just about be counted on one hand. Compared to the vast number of movies out there; the few independent conservative movies are negligible. The “daily” movie viewership number is taken from the estimated 2012 yearly number and divided by 365.
- And Yes, debating whether or not the vast majority of these have a liberal bias (as indicated) is like debating the innocense of O.J. Simpson. Please spare me tedeous ordeal of defending the obvious.
So when you look at the actual numbers (people) compared to the Big Three broadcasters… Fox News, barely scratches the surface (5-10% depending on overlap). Newspapers are better, but still the clear dominance is on the left. TV and Hollywood? We conservatives don’t even have a dog in the hunt; the left totally controls and dominates the medium.
The only category where we hold an advantage in is Talk Radio and then just barely after being forced to subsidize the opposition.
Liberal Media Bias and Dominance? You Bet Your Sweet Ass!